Table of Contents
If you own an RV, there are things you need to make your travels easier. As we know, an RV doesn’t have all the space in the world so let’s talk about the 25 things that should at the very least, be there.
Best RV must-haves Travel Accessories You Might Want For Your Next Road Trip
#1 Water hose
Water supply is a must when traveling with an RV, so a water hose to fill your tank or to connect to the campground’s city water is a must. Take note that this is different from the typical garden hose.
Lead is the material found in garden hoses and is not safe for drinking. Thus, it’s not an ideal choice to bring in your trips. On the other hand, an RV water hose is made of drinking-safe materials.
There are various types of water hoses that you can bring depending on your needs. If you’re traveling during the winter, a heated or freeze-protection hose will do you well. But overall, you should ensure that your water hose is lined with polyurethane since this is the safest means to have a clean water supply.
- The Perfect Size Hose: 25-foot hose with a 5/8-inch ID
- Drinking Water Safe: Made of NSF certified FWH hose. Certified to NSF/ANSI/CAN...
- Reinforced Hose: Provides maximum kink resistance
The lead- and BPA-free Camco TastePURE is a great option. It is available in sizes 4 feet to 75 feet and is reinforced for maximum kink resistance so you can store them properly.
#2 Water pressure regulator
This is a device to avoid water pressure surges to protect your RV’s plumbing system, hose, and filters. There are different types to choose from inline barrel regulators, adjustable regulators, and high-flow inline barrel regulators.
Inline barrel regulators have the capacity to restrict 40 to 45 PSI water pressure. However, they have no ability to adjust the water pressure.
The high-flow inline barrel regulator does the same with the difference of it having higher flow. The adjustable regulator, on the other hand, has a gauge that lets you monitor and adjust the pressure as needed.
The Valterra A01-111VP is an adjustable variant that comes with a flathead screwdriver to allow ideal water flow. It has an easily-readable gauge with an inlet screened washer.
#3 30 amp or 50 amp shore power cord
To run the appliances in your RV, a power cord is a must. They come in either a 12-volt battery system or a 120-volt shore power source. A shore power cord is used to connect to the campground’s main electrical grid. Please do not use a regular extension cord as this poses a fire risk.
Check the amperage you need before purchasing a shore power cord, whether it’s 30 or 50 amps. An ergonomic handle also adds to the ease of using it.
There are two style variants: dog bone adapters and puck adapters. A dog bone adapter takes more space but it’s the more durable option, while the puck adapter is smaller but gets hot quickly, so you shouldn’t use it for long-term.
- Extended Length: Extends 25 feet long, providing the necessary length to power...
- Flexible, Safe and Durable Construction: Power cord is extremely flexible....
- High Conductivity: Features a standard 30-amp male (NEMA TT-30P) plug and a...
The 25-foot Camco Power Grip extension cord is a 30-amp variant with a threaded locking ring for a waterproof property.
#4 Sewer hose
The purpose of this is for the connection of the internal drainage and your RV’s waste systems to external sewers. This is to deliver the waste from your tank to the drains, portable tanks, or external sewers to keep your RV clean.
The sewer hose and the black water tank are connected, and pressure is applied to push the waste into the tank. To maximize the function, ensure to purchase a durable sewer hose. Consider flexible options since rigid ones break sooner.
The ideal hole size is 4×4 to maximize the flow, thus, preventing clogging.
- 20' RV SEWER HOSE KIT: This complete, ready-to-use kit includes everything you...
- KIT INCLUDES: The kit comes with (2) 10' RhinoFLEX camper sewer hoses with...
- FITS MOST DUMP STATION PIPES: RhinoFLEX fits a variety of dump station pipes....
The 20-foot Camco RhinoFLEX RV sewer hose kit has a handful of accessories that can improve durability and functionality.
#5 30 amp or 50 amp surge protector
To protect your appliances, make sure to have an RV surge protector with you. A surge protector is typically connected to the camp’s power outlet prior to connecting the electrical cord to the RV. The surge protector cuts off the voltage surge before it reaches the RV.
There are different types you can choose from based on your needs: primary surge protectors, secondary surge protectors, power strips, portable surge protectors, and hardwired surge protectors.
- Maintain electronic safety - This 30 Amp RV surge protector helps to protect...
- Impressive EMS features - This 30 Amp surge protector identifies faulty power...
- High-performing fault detector - The Progressive Industries 30 Amp surge...
The 30-amp Progressive Industries PT30x surge protector doesn’t require a complicated installation process. Just simply hook it up to your electrical pedestal’s outlet. You can even leave it outside when it’s raining since it’s weather-proof.
#6 Holding tank treatment
To stop your RV from smelling horribly like sewage and to avoid clogging, make sure to use some tank treatment. It’s a chemical product that you simply add to the toilet system to break down any matter that’s present in the tank.
The water then easily flows out of your RV. Additionally, these tank treatments help eliminate odor along the way.
Holding tank treatments either comes in tablet or liquid forms.
- ODOR FREE: absolutely no chemical or sewer smell
- ORGANIC: biodegradable, environmentally friendly, septic tank friendly
- EFFECTIVE: in extreme hot & cold temperatures ( over 100f )
A biodegradable and eco-friendly option is the Happy Campers Organic RV holding tank treatment. It can help break down even tissue paper to furtherly prevent clogging.
Levelers are placed beneath the wheels for height adjustment. You will not always find even ground when parking your RV, so these levelers can be used in those scenarios.
It comes in two main styles: ramp-style and block-style. The block-style blocks come in Lego-style building blocks, while the ramp-style models are like ramps that you have to drive over.
- Lynx Recreational Vehicle Leveling Kit, 10/Pack
- Modular designed levelers not only configure to fit any leveling function, but...
- To use: simply set them into a pyramid shape to the desired height that the RV...
Our best recommendation is the Tri-Lynx 00015 leveling blocks. It comes in 10 pieces that can be stacked into a pyramid. It can withstand up to 40,000 pounds.
A quiet generator adds power to your RV as you travel. This is important because not all places will come with available electrical connections.
The majority of RV generators are easy to install and are light in weight. There are different types, but the most preferred are gas and diesel generators. Propane generators are eco-friendly alternatives, but they’re usually on the pricier end.
- Dimensions: 18" x 11" x 18" | Weight: 48 lbs
- Noise Level: 53 dB operation
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts...
The best one in the market is the completely noise-free WEN 56200i since it has 1250- to 3500-watt energy.
#9 Air compressor
Occasional RV users may not find this important, but if you frequently travel with your van, you have to consider an air compressor.
RV tires tend to get over- or under-inflated over time, and both of these may pose some accident risks. If they’re over-inflated, they can burst. On the other hand, if they lack inflation, they can lose grip. Even a small 10-psi difference can cut down your RV’s weight capacity by 25%.
The purpose of an air compressor is for you to be able to monitor your tires’ air pressure. Some variants can also detect tire temperature levels.
- Convenience: Plug directly into Cigarette Lighter Socket of your Vehicle. 12VDC,...
- Multiple Uses: Inflate tires on cars, bikes, sedan and midsize SUV. (Engine size...
- Capacity: Does NOT Support truck tires, for instance: light truck tires (LT),...
The 12-DC EPauto air compressor is rated for 10 to 15 amps and 120 to 180 W electricity. It houses a 4-display unit: PSI, KPA, BAR, and KG/CM. It also boasts of an auto-shutoff feature when the tire is nearing the ideal pressure range.
#10 First aid kit
This one is a true no-brainer. You don’t know what will happen along the road so make sure that you have a first aid kit ready for emergency situations. Although a first aid kit may not be enough to treat major injuries, it may buy you some time as you find your way to the nearest medical facility.
An easy favorite is First Aid Kit – 160 Piece by Protect Life. It houses a lot of items that may be useful, from treating insect bites to cleaning wounds. It also comes with instructions on how to use the products for different medical issues.
#11 Refrigerator fan
The refrigerator almost always consumes the most power among all the RV appliances. The hotter it is outside, the more power it consumes to keep the temperature cool.
This is where the refrigerator comes in. The cooler the RV refrigerator is, the lesser power it consumes, thus, saving you power along the way. They are cheap, but they can save you a ton!
The Valterra A10-2606 is a 3-volt refrigerator fan that is compact. It provides a portable air circulation system that helps cut down the cool-down time by over 50%.
#12 Immersion blender
To help you have delicious meals even when you’re out traveling in your RV, an immersion blender should be one of your considerations. It chops, crushes, blends, and purees vegetables to make sauces and smoothies. Advanced models come with self-cleaning systems to make cleaning the appliance a breeze.
- [Upgrated Entire Stainless Hand Blender] The immersion hand blender with...
- [Titanium Plated Blade&Full Copper Motor] Powerful, low noise, 1000W heavy duty...
- [Multifunctional Handheld Blender] KOIOS immersion handheld blender kit includes...
The KOIOS 800W Immersion multifunction hand stick blender is a lightweight stainless steel blender with 9.9 x 9.4 x 5.5-inch dimensions. It takes up less space but does its job with its 4 different functions and 8 different speed options.
#13 Water filter
We all need clean water to survive. That’s a given. Buying plastic bottles of water every time is not only expensive, but it does no good to our environment. There are available water sources in campgrounds, but it’s not always 100% safe to drink.
To solve this, installing a water filter in your RV’s kitchen is a great idea to ensure some clean and potable water. They usually come in an ultra-fine sieve to trap the pollutants.
- SAFE WATER MATTERS: Say goodbye to unpleasant tastes, odor, chlorine, sediment,...
- 20-MICRON, IN LINE FILTER: A 20-micron internal sediment filter protects against...
- MULTIPLE USES: This product can be attached to any standard gardening or...
The Camco TastePURE 40043 is an ideal option because it has a large capacity and efficiency. It contains a 20-micron high-flow sediment via a carbon filter that decreases bacteria growth. On top of those, it has a high water flow rate as supported by its wide body/
#14 Instant pot
Cooking in an RV can be such a pain, so it’s best to invest in multi-functional instant pots to be able to prepare various meals. This also saves you from having to buy and store different kitchen tools.
- 9-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Pressure cook, slow cook, rice cooker, yogurt maker,...
- IMPROVED STRESS-FREE VENTING: Intuitive and simple, our improved easy-release...
- REALTIME FEEDBACK: The easy-to-read display includes a full cooking progress bar...
The 6-quart Instant Pot DUO Plus is a great model and can provide 9 different functions. It works as a slow cooker, pressure cooker, sauté pan, steamer, yogurt maker, water warmer, sterilizer, egg cooker, and rice cooker.
To help you in setting up the ideal times for different dishes, it has 15 microprocessors to help you. Also, it doesn’t take much of your RV kitchen space with its 13.4 x 12.2 x 12.5 inches dimensions.
#15 Coffee machine
If you love some cup of coffee to jumpstart your day, a coffee maker should be on your list. For your beloved RV, the best things to consider in purchasing one are ease of cleaning, ease of operation, and space efficiency.
- If you really care about your coffee – We tested enough mechanisms and filters...
- More thicker, More heavier, Build to last – Our huge capacity professional...
- Multiple Uses - Besides using the french press as a coffee maker, it is also...
The Mueller french press double insulated 310 stainless steel coffee maker can prepare 3 to 4 full-sized cups at a time so it’s ideal especially if you’re traveling in groups It weighs about a liter with a dual wall construction to keep your coffee hot for longer. It also comes with a quadruple-layer filter basket to keep your coffee clean.
Because of its material, it’s extremely easy to clean. If you’re looking for a full coffee machine, try this rv coffee maker list.
Staying inside your RV during long drives may be restricting, and relaxation on a hammock is a great idea after hours and hours inside the van. And so, get yourself a portable hammock for that extra unwind session under the sun.
The Aottop hammock is a portable folding hammock that lets you enjoy your time under the sun without the need to set one up in between poles and trees. It comes with its framework so you can have your hammock anytime and anywhere. It measures 7’10” from end to end and has a weight capacity of 225 pounds.
#17 Propane fire pit
Since burning wood to create fire is forbidden in a lot of campgrounds for safety reasons, having a propane fire fit can still give you the campfire experience without the safety hazards woods bring. Propane fire fits come in different forms.
Some even come in the form of fake logs to really give you the illusion of burning wood. Another alternative is to utilize lava rocks!
- ✓ PERFECT NO MESS CAMPFIRE: Say goodbye to dirty ash, expensive firewood, and...
- ✓ COMPACT AND EASY TO TRANSPORT: Travel size fire pit is lightweight and...
- ✓ BEAT THE CAMPFIRE BAN: CSA approved fire pit is safe to use during most...
A safe and efficient propane fire fit is the Outland Firebowl 870. It has an automatic ignition and a gas control knob that can give a single spark in one rotation. It also has a cover to keep the sparks in.
If you enjoy your barbecues, then it’s not difficult to think why you’d need a grill. It can also cook you burgers, ribs, or steak. However, the challenging part here is looking for one that’s portable since you’re taking it around along with you.
Two options come to mind when I think about a grill perfect for the RV. On top is a charcoal grill because it’s cheap and easy to find but with a downside of it producing a lot of residues. This can make the cleaning process tedious.
On the other hand, propane grills are eco-friendly and are a lot easier to clean, but they come in a higher price point.
- Total cooking area = 280 Square Inches
- Stainless steel burner puts out 12,000 BTU-per-hour
- Porcelain-enameled, cast iron cooking grates
The cream of the crop is the Weber 54060001. It has a single steel burner with a 12,000-BTU delivery capacity. It also has a cooking surface of 280 square inches. The great thing about it too is it already comes all ready, so you don’t have to assemble it yourself.
#19 Portable folding table
A portable folding table is a convenient item to go around as it can serve a lot of purposes. It does cooking and preparing meals easier, and your group can comfortably eat on it. The most important characteristic to look for in a table for your RV is how compact it is so it can fit nicely inside your van.
- All purpose table constructed of powder-coated steel and high-density...
- 48-inch x 24-inch molded tabletop ; Seating Capacity: 4, Designed with an...
- Folds in half for easy storage and transport; Great for taking on the go
The Lifetime 4428 is every family’s favorite for a lot of reasons. It is lightweight at 19 pounds and can be set up in three height settings of your choice: 24, 29, and 36 inches. It’s foldable and comes with a case and hand for ease of transport.
#20 Camping chairs
Just like how we need a table, a camping chair can also make your RV travels more convenient. They are lightweight, portable, and foldable, which makes them a perfect road trip companion. A lot of models also come with cup holders and pouches to make your experience even better.
The STRONGBACK Elite is our top recommendation. It’s ergonomically designed with strong lumbar support to keep your back ache-free. Additionally, it’s lightweight with a backpack-style carrying case to make your life easier.
#21 Laptop stand
If you have to work during your trip, a laptop stand will give you an easier and more comfortable working experience. It will also help you work more efficiently so you can finish as soon as possible, thus, giving you more time to enjoy your travel.
The Roost laptop stand is known for its durability and ability to carry and support even the heaviest of laptops. It houses some rubber insets to protect your laptop’s skin from scratches. Moreover, it’s lightweight at 5.8 ounces with a folded dimension of 1.2 x 13 x 1.3 inches for easy storage.
#22 Signal booster
A signal booster, as the term implies, is a device that enhances your cell phone’s signal’s radius or strengthens the signals received by your mobile. This is done so through an antenna. This is especially important if you rely on GPS or if you have a job that needs you on-call 24/7.
- COMPATIBILITY: The Drive 4G-X RV Signal Booster is compatible with all US...
- SIGNAL BOOSTER: The weBoost Drive 4G-X RV (470410) Cell Phone Signal Booster...
- STATIONARY OR ON THE GO: The weBoost Drive 4G-X RV 470410 Cell Phone Signal...
A signal booster that can strengthen 4G LTE and 3G signals up to 32x is the weBoost Drive 4G-X RV 470410.
After a long day on the road, who doesn’t want a good mattress to snooze in? RV mattresses are typically smaller for obvious reasons. There are even atypically shaped mattresses to suit your needs.
- Made in the USA - Our RV mattresses are crafted with pride in the USA, ensuring...
- Superior Pressure Relief - 100% Natural latex provides better distribution of...
- No Fillers and Non-Toxic - Our RV sleeper natural latex foam is pure meaning it...
The PlushBeds 8” Natural Latex RV mattress easily made me fall in love. It’s made of 100% natural latex foam with no toxins injected into it. It’s also free of harmful chemicals to keep you safe all throughout. It’s also lightweight and is a perfect mix between softness and firmness.
An RV Awning is basically a cover or a shade that can be set up outside your RV. It acts to protect the RV from snow or rain. You may also simply set it up so you can enjoy some time under the shade as you rest and relax. There are stationary variants, and there are retractable ones.
- Replace your old and worn-out awning with SunWave brand awning fabric! Our...
- We've selected the best quality vinyl for our awnings. Vinyl is the ideal...
- Our vinyl material is resistant to UV radiation and color won't fade away...
The SunWave Awning Fabric Ocean Blue Fade is worth looking into. It’s a 15-oz waterproof vinyl that can protect you from the sun, wind, snow, or rain.
#25 Battery pack
In a world where our lives now revolve around electronic devices, a battery pack can be a lifesaver in cases where charging your gadgets is almost impossible. You may not always find a socket or a power source to power up your devices. This is why a battery pack is a great consideration to add to your RV needs.
- 【2023 Upgraded USB-C Output】Two 10000mAh battery packs not only for portable...
- 【Dual Output & Input】Each also has 2 USB output ports that detect all the...
- 【Small & Slim】It feels incredibly compact for a 10000mAh power bank,...
A powerful option is the Miady 10000mAh portable charger is a battery pack that charges via a type C port as fast as 5 hours. It can impressively charge an iPhone about 10 times before it empties out.
There you go! I hope you learned a thing or two. Whether you’re a new RV owner or a longtime one, you may find some things in this article helpful. So go and prepare your RV for your next exciting trip!
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2023-09-30