Fishing is a great way to unwind and enjoy the great outdoors. However, before you cast a line into the water, be sure you have everything you need. This includes your favorite rod and reel, as well as the appropriate type of bait. You should also ensure that you have a current fishing license.
Though some may consider a fishing license to be a nuisance, they serve a purpose that benefits all of us.
The fees collected serve to fund the management and protection of maritime resources, as well as educational programs. They even keep boat launches and fishing piers in good condition.
Regulations vary by state, but fishing licenses are usually valid for a year. There are also short-term licenses available for those who only fish on occasion.
So, how do you obtain a fishing license? It could be simpler than you think.
But first, the fundamentals
What is a fishing license?
You must get a fishing license, which is nothing more than authorization from the government to capture a specific species of fish.
The license also specifies the amount of fish you can capture and keep in a day, or if you must catch and release the fish, depending on the law regulating that particular body of water. You must follow the rules of the license or risk losing it, which will prevent you from enjoying an amazing day of fishing.
Why do you need a license to fish?
Fishing licenses have been shown to protect fish populations over time, just as hunting licenses have been shown to protect wildlife. The government generally applies species limits and limits the number of fish caught and held in a day by any particular fisherman through fishing laws. All of this information is provided when a fishing license is purchased.
This is a method of informing people about the significance of catch restrictions. Similarly, fishing licenses specify the number of fish that can be caught, which is the same for everyone. As a result, anyone who illegally collects more than their fair share can be reported to authorities as a poacher.
Furthermore, Wildlife Departments can reduce unlawful fishing by instituting a more effective check and balance system via licensing. Allowing officials to spot-check fishermen for legitimate fishing licenses instills fear in the fishermen in the event of a fine. Because licenses are only $10 – $40, it is a safer alternative to purchase a license rather than pay thousands of dollars in fines if one is caught breaking the rules and regulations.
Fishing licenses can also be used to fund marine life research and state wildlife departments. Furthermore, the cash earned by fishing license fees is used to fund certain management tasks. For example, the funds raised could be utilized to boost the amount of fish in the department’s lakes and fisheries.
Who needs to buy a fishing license?
It’s simple: anyone who wants to fish in the country must purchase a license. As previously stated, fishing without a license is a crime in the United States. There are, however, certain exceptions to this rule. A person under the age of 17 (or, in some places, under the age of 16) or above the age of 65, for example, is exempt from purchasing a fishing license. Similarly, veterans and those with disabilities do not need to obtain a fishing license. Additionally, each state hosts free fishing days throughout the year where anyone can experience fishing for free!
Does Walmart sell fishing license?
Yes. Indeed, considering its numerous locations across the country and reasonable hours of operation, Walmart can be your go-to alternative for a fishing license!
Where can I get a fishing license near me?
A fishing license can often be purchased at a local tackle store or at the same government office where you renew your driver’s license or car plate.
But there is another option that many people are unaware of. And it’s also where you purchase a lot of your household necessities. Yes, you may get a fishing license from a Walmart store as long as it contains a Sports & Outdoors area.
A Walmart fishing license is the same as a state license. It gives you the same rights and advantages that you do in public waters.
Which states offer fishing license at Walmart?
The following states are now offering fishing licenses at Walmart:
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
What is the cost of a fishing license at Walmart?
Prices vary by state, and other considerations such as a person’s age, whether he or she is a resident or non-resident of the state, the duration of the license, and whether it is for freshwater or saltwater fishing all play a role.
In addition, Walmart charges a modest processing fee.
Senior persons, people with disabilities, veterans, active military personnel, and children under the age of 16 (or, in certain locations, under the age of 14) receive discounts or do not need a license in various states.
Here is a general price list for a Walmart fishing license:
- For a state resident between the ages of 16 and 65 – $19
- For a state resident 66 and older – $10
- $11 for a single-day license for a resident or non-resident.
- Non-resident annual fishing license – $40
- A three-day fishing permit for a tourist costs $19.
- Duplicate license to replace a lost or stolen one – $4
How much is a lifetime fishing license at Walmart?
- Lifetime Fishing/Hunting Combination license: $775
- Five-Year Fishing license: $88.
- Five-Year Fishing/Hunting license: $148
- Annual Fishing license: $25 (Youth, 16–17: $5).
- Annual Fishing/Hunting Combination license: $53 (Youth, 16-17: $19).
How to Apply for a Walmart Fishing License
Obtaining a Walmart fishing license is as simple as walking up to the counter in the department that sells fishing and hunting goods and producing a photo ID, but there are more options:
Visit your local Walmart and bring a photo ID and evidence of residency with you. The license form is accessible in the store’s Sports and Outdoor department. Fill out the form, answer the required questions, and pay for the license, and you’re finished.
Go to walmart.com and submit your application, then pay with a debit or credit card. Simply print it once it has been approved. (This is not available in all states.)
When completing the online form, you must include the following information:
- What type of water do you want to fish in — a river, a stream, a lake, the ocean, or a pond?
- What is your age? (and the price of the license is less for anyone under 16 years or a senior citizen)
- The license can be renewed on a daily, monthly, seasonal, annual, or lifetime basis.
- How many licenses are you looking for? Every person fishing in a group must have their own license. A person cannot fish if they do not have a license.
In some states, you can apply by phone by providing the required information and payment method. After it has been authorized, you may print it at home or pick it up at the store.
This technique takes some time, however it is an option if your fishing excursion is not immediately scheduled.
What do I need to bring to Walmart to get a fishing license?
Walmart merely requires some type of photo identification to provide you a fishing license. To avoid any inconvenience, if you are a resident of the same state, it is best to bring some sort of proof of residency with you. Whether you are a resident or a non-resident, you should have your ID with you. They’ll ask you things like:
- How old are you? Prices vary according to age, with children and seniors obtaining discounts.
- How long do you want your license to be valid? There are various alternatives available, including daily, weekly, seasonally, and annually.
- In which waters will you be fishing? or “Where will you fish?” such as oceans, lakes, fresh and saltwater, and so on.
- Will you be fishing by yourself or with others? or “How many licenses do you require?” This is mostly to guarantee that everyone fishing with you has a valid fishing license.
Do I have to take a test/exam at Walmart for a fishing license?
There is no need to take an exam to obtain the license. However, the license comes with a pamphlet that you should read thoroughly in order to be informed about various rules and regulations about responsible fishing. The areas where one is permitted to fish are also noted in the handbook, as some areas may be off-limits. Fishing in banned regions is illegal since these areas are home to endangered animals. This is a crime with serious consequences, including a lifelong ban or instant termination of the fishing license.
During what hours can I purchase a Walmart fishing license?
A Walmart fishing license can be obtained in person or over the phone at any time the store is open. Simply look up the store’s regular business hours in your local listings and apply for your license during those times.
Make sure you have a photo ID (most individuals just use their driver’s license) as well as proof of where you live. A driver’s license is one example, but so is a utility bill.
Is there any other renewal or procedures that I need to know?
Yes. Licenses typically expire on December 31st of each year, according to the law. As a result, you must renew your license before it expires. If a person continues to fish with an expired license, he may face fines or jail time, depending on how long the license has been expired and which state he is fishing in. Tourist license holders do not need to worry: their licenses expire after a certain period of time and do not need to be renewed.
- If you plan to fish in a group, each member of the group must have their own fishing license. A person cannot fish if they do not have a license.
- If found fishing without a license, the person faces a substantial fine and/or jail. It is simply not worth the risk, especially when a fishing license in the United States is quite inexpensive.
- Depending on your needs, you can select from a variety of fishing licenses.
- The cost of the license varies according to the sort of water body in which you wish to fish.
- A license fee will be imposed if a fishing location is not categorized as a river, ocean, stream, or pond.
- Walmart does not require applicants for fishing licenses to take a test at the time of application. You will, however, be given a pamphlet outlining the dos and don’ts, and you are expected to read and strictly adhere to the guidelines.
- Make certain that the location you choose for fishing allows it. Even if you have a fishing license, you may be punished if you do not follow the rules.
- When fishing, whether in saltwater or freshwater, you must not litter, urinate, or pollute the water in any way. It may have a negative impact on the sensitive habitat in which the fish dwell, and it may result in a fine.
- It is your responsibility to take safety precautions while fishing, especially if you are fishing in the ocean or a river. While fishing, you should make sure you have all of the appropriate safety equipment.
- When the weather is terrible, you may be restricted from fishing. Check the weather forecast before heading out to your favorite fishing spot to avoid putting yourself in danger.
- A fishing license does not grant authority to fish endangered species or in locations where fishing is prohibited. It may result in penalties and/or jail. Furthermore, Walmart and government officials may impose a lifetime ban, preventing you from fishing anyplace.
- While many anglers love fishing alone since it is a calm and soothing pastime, they should be aware that fishing can cause injury. That is why you should use the proper fishing equipment and carry a first aid kit with you so that if you get wounded, you can treat yourself before going to the nearest ER. When you bring children along, being injury-free becomes even more crucial.
- If you don’t know how to swim, make sure you wear a lifejacket while fishing. If you fall into the water, it could save your life. This is true for oceans, rivers, and other bodies of water.
- If you are fishing in a body of water on your land, you do not need to apply for a fishing license.
A few dollars for a fishing license is a little sum to pay for something with such large rewards. It also beats having to appear in court and pay a fine. Now that you’re aware of a Walmart fishing license, you’ll have one less excuse for not being fully licensed to partake in one of our favorite pastimes.
After all, it’s as simple as going grocery shopping, buying for a new smart TV, or getting a prescription filled.
Can you get a fishing license at Walmart anytime?
This question has a resounding yes. A fishing license can be obtained from Walmart at any time. If you intend to visit a shop to obtain the license, keep in mind that a local Walmart will only accept applications and issue licenses during regular business hours.
The same can be said when applying for a license over the phone.
If, on the other hand, you plan to get a fishing license by mail or online, you can submit your application at any time. That is one of the key reasons why most anglers apply for their license online at Walmart. While it may take a few hours to obtain the license, it is one of the most convenient methods of application.
Is it cheaper to get a fishing & hunting license at the same time?
Yes, this is a legitimate question, and the law in the United States allows for it. When a person wishes to get a Walmart fishing and hunting license, the prices shown above are subject to change. The license cost would then alter, and the individual receiving it would profit because the license cost would be reduced in comparison to getting them separately from the license department.
What is the purpose of a fishing license?
A fishing license, like any other permission, serves as a regulatory instrument to manage fishing. Both recreational and commercial fishing require it. Licenses ensure that no problems arise, such as overfishing of endangered species.
Can I show my fishing license on my smartphone?
Yes. You don’t have to rush across town looking for a licensed agent to buy a fishing license; you can simply order one online! Licenses do not have to be in printed form if you can provide a photograph of your license upon request.
Does everyone on the boat need to carry a fishing license?
No, not always. The regulation is simple: if you want to go fishing, you must get a license. So, even if other persons on the vessel are fishing, anyone on board who is not fishing does not need to possess a license. Non-anglers should not assist with fishing, such as connecting bait to hooks or removing fish from hooks.
Do you need a fishing license to catch and release fish?
Most states require you to acquire a license even if you catch a fish solely to release it. It makes no difference whether you intend to retain the fish or not — you are utilizing the land and water, and you must pay for the upkeep of the region.
Which state has the cheapest fishing license?
Delaware has the cheapest yearly non-resident license, which costs $22.50, while Alaska has the most costly, which costs $145.
How do I get a fishing license if I do not have a Social Security Number?
If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must provide documentation from the Social Security Administration proving that you do not have one.
Delaware has the cheapest yearly non-resident license, which costs $22.50, while Alaska has the most costly, which costs $145.
Can I get a fishing license without an ID?
In most states, the minimum age to obtain a fishing license is 16 or 17. In that situation, you can show your driver’s license or learner’s permit as identification. The primary reason for displaying your ID as proof of residency is to pay for the resident fishing license, which is available at substantially lower rates in all states.
What happens if I forget my fishing license at home?
If you leave your fishing license at home and are required to show it, you can go to the game warden’s office. They can check with the head office to see if you have a fishing license, but there is still a danger that they will punish you for not having it with you while fishing.