The road to a great hiking trip is a pair of great hiking boots. Besides, it’s what’s going to take you wherever you go!
But, if you’ve been hiking for a while, you should know by now that not all hiking boots are the same. What works best for you may not work as well for someone else. There are a lot of factors to consider so hop in as we break them down for you to help you narrow down your choices.
Best Hiking Boots
Columbia Newton Ridge Hiking Boots
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Boot features our lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as an advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Treacherous days out on the trail are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof full-grain leather and mesh bootie construction and its durable mesh tongue for breathability.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: The Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Boot features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- VERSATILE STYLE: This men's waterproof hiking boot delivers style and durability with its contrasting color combinations and soft mesh exterior.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments. A dual-zone winter tread pattern ensures solid footing on surfaces such as ice and snow.
If you’re looking for hiking boots that give 100% comfort without sacrificing the aesthetics, this is a great consideration.
Comfort, safety, and style are the main selling points of Newton Ridge hiking boots. It’s made with an adjustable fitting feature that can be controlled through the laces. This feature also adds ankle support which is a must when hiking. The last thing you need is a sprained ankle mid-hike!
The sole is slip-free so that’s added safety right there especially in uneven terrains. Additionally, you can trust its traction design to keep you grounded and stable. Despite the stability it provides, it is also very lightweight to lessen all the weight you have to carry.
And imagine? All these great features while still looking stylish for when you have to take photos and videos to remember the hiking trip by.
The downside is that this may not be the best option for people with wider feet since it may not fit them well. Plus, make sure to break them in before your scheduled hike.
These sell exceptionally in the market because it truly looks great as compared to its competitors. Plus, on top of everything discussed, these guys are waterproof too!
A drawback is that it is lacking in the durability department but breaking it in prior to your hike will help!
- Slip-free sole
- Comfortable midsole
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Exceptional ankle support
- Non-snug for wide feet
- Break-in is required
Salomon Ultra Wide Hiking Boots
- Waterproof Hiking Boots: Whether you are hitting the trails or looking for a solid work shoe, these extra durable, waterproof, mid hiking boots are designed for maximum traction on all terrains
- A Better Way Down: Designed with Descent Control Technology, the X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX mid hiking boot efficiently tackles technical hikes and really shines during tough descents, even in wet conditions
- Adventure Awaits: Whether you love a local day hike or hitting the trails for a multi-day adventure, Salomon makes innovative hiking and backpacking shoes and boots for men and women to help you go the distance
- Time To Play: Whether you are into trail running, hiking, backpacking, or mountaineering, Salomon has shoes and gear for kids, men and women to help you conquer a new distance, personal record, or event
- Since 1947 Salomon has created innovative outdoor sports gear; From running and hiking to backpacking, skiing and more, our shoes, boots, bags, apparel and accessories help make any path your own
Before we start, let me just tell you that Salomon holds a rather high price tag in the market. But that is not in vain for all the features it has to offer.
These boots are so comfortable and lightweight making them a huge hit in the hiking market. With these features, hiking is less tiring, thus, giving you a greater hiking experience. The reason behind this is that it is made of synthetic and waterproof materials instead of the heavier fabrics.
The synthetic build also makes these boots breathable despite their waterproof properties. In other words, these boots will give you a great hiking session regardless of the weather. Moreover, it features Sensifit technology that gives a better fit.
Inside is a foam cushion that gives more support while walking. This extra stability is of importance in activities such as this.
A downside some raise is these boots aren’t the most eye-pleasing. Well, to the company’s defense, these boots are originally created for men. And let’s not forget the expensive price point!
If you’re a hiker who hikes a lot and in various weather conditions, Salomon is a great option for you since it stays dry most of the time. They are comfortable and they keep you stable too.
The Salomon X Ultra hiking boots are originally designed for men so they may fall far from women’s taste. Also, if you’re on a tight budget, you might have to cross this off your list.
- 100% synthetic
- Sensifit feature for a snug fit
- Advanced chassis for more comfort
Altra Lone Peak 4 Trail Running Shoes
- Durable mesh upper with integrated tongue
- Improved, grippier MaxTrac rubber
- StoneGuard resembles the skeletal structure of a foot
- Stack Height: 25mm
- Cushioning: Moderate
Boasting of its great ability provides immense comfort, the company even markets these for running.
Grip and traction on the trail are two of the key safety features and the Maxtrac feature in these hiking boots provides exactly that. Additionally, these are also pretty durable even if you have to traverse extreme terrains.
It houses a foot-shaped toe box which creates more toe space. If you do not know already, this easily makes it a lot comfortable even for long periods of use, whether climbing hills or descending from them.
This pair is also known for its zero drop. Zero drop means the forefoot and the heel are at the same level and this tremendously decreases the impact on your foot.
Although this is made of durable synthetic material, it remains lightweight which makes it even more perfect for running on any terrain.
Take note, however, that these do not fare well with hard surfaces and are not recommended for professional hiking.
These shoes are made to withstand extremely rough terrains with the breathability and durability you need.
Lack in color options can be improved, but they are stylish so a lot of people are still into these babies.
- Zero drop adds comfort
- Spacious foot-shaped toe box
- Great grip
- Not the best option for hard surfaces
- Not for professional hiking
Saucony Men’s Trail Running Shoes
- The PWRFOAM midsole and EVERUN topsole work together to provide underfoot cushioning
- Deep, flexible lugs made of PWRTRAC tacky rubber conform to dig in and confidently grip any surface in all directions
- Reinforced to protect feet from trail debris, the upper now has a trail-specific ISOFIT system for the perfect lock-down fit
- Reinforced forefoot plate for underfoot protection
Saucony’s running shoes will save you a great deal of energy because they are truly lightweight.
Do you get tired easily? Prolong your hiking endurance by using these shoes. It’s lightweight and comfortable to give you a rather easier hiking experience. With these shoes, the upper of the shoe accommodates the manner by which your foot moves inside. This is a pretty innovative technology.
One great thing about these is that they are available in three different colors to match your style. Looking good while having comfortable hiking shoes isn’t impossible with these.
Saucony is sturdily constructed made of synthetic materials and durable fabric to last you your hikes. However, on the other hand, these aren’t that suitable for hard surfaces and are not recommended for professional hiking.
These shoes house great features to give you a comfortable hiking experience. Should you run a lot, that won’t be a problem with these guys.
Some have complained about the quality of these shoes not being consistent. Also, these aren’t for professional hiking since it does not fare well with some terrain types.
- Easy to wear
- Comes in three colors
- Best for softer surfaces
- Not for professional hikers
Timberland Men’s White Ledge Mid Waterproof Ankle Boot
- Our White Ledge Men's Hiking Boots have premium full-grain waterproof leather uppers, seam-sealed waterproof construction, and rustproof speed lace hardware with hooks at top for secure lacing.
- LOOK NO FURTHER for trail-ready performance and style. Our selection of men’s hiking boots, waterproof hiking boots, casual boots, and casual shoes is designed to fit in with your outdoor-ready ensembles.
- TIMBERLAND HAS YOU COVERED whether you're looking for men's boots, women's boots, or kids boots. For the best in hiking boots, rain boots, work boots, casual shoes & boots & more, choose Timberland.
- WHAT YOU NEED IN THE OUTDOORS: Timberland has the gear you need for all your outdoor adventures, including jackets and coats for outdoor activities, backpacks and luggage & outdoor accessories.
Timberland is a name that needs no introduction, and their men’s ankle hiking boots are loved by many for its durability and waterproof properties.
The insert of these boots is removable to easily air it out and to maintain it in their best shape. Why? Because this feature makes it easier to remove most of the moisture inside.
These may be strong and sturdy, but it’s very much lightweight so it will decrease the effort you have to put out. It houses a high-quality rubber sole that adds to its durability and comfort.
If your trail has some water lands on the way, or if the weather forecast states that it will be wet on your scheduled hike, these babies are great to wear because of their waterproof properties. Additionally, the soles are rugged, rubber-lugged, high-traction, and with inner cushions for shock absorption.
Rough terrains? Don’t worry! You can trust Timberland to cover that!
Overall, the functionality of these boots is fantastic. However, the design can definitely be improved for a more fashion-forward look.
These boots are made to survive all kinds of trails while giving you the utmost comfort you need.
It is a must to break these boots in before your trail to ensure comfort while hiking so make sure to allot some time for that.
- Removable insole
- Made from natural materials
- Break-in requirement
- Look can be improved
Here let’s run down the things that are best to consider in choosing your hiking boots:
There are a lot of waterproof hiking footwear out there, but you’ll never know their waterproof capabilities until you try them out. But with how shoes are made, the majority of these aren’t completely waterproof. But did you know that you can do something to make your hiking boots even more waterproof? There are a handful of videos that tackle this. You might want to check them out.
You must be wondering what traction means in the hiking footwear world. It simply means that the more traction your shoes have, the more slip-free it is, so there will be more security for you.
A great traction feature on the sole of your footwear adds a tremendous amount of safety net. It can save you from different types of injury so make sure to consider this when deciding on what hiking footwear to buy.
If you mostly hike on cold weather or season conditions, investing on shoes with good insulation is a definite must!
These boots are insulated with the use of synthetic or natural materials with shearing from sheep or Thinsulate to keep your feet warmer. These are usually called winter boots or hiking boots.
Height of the boots
In considering boot heights, the range is from low to medium to high. Your choice should largely depend on your hiking conditions. But a half boot that stands up to just above the ankle provides enough support for regular hiking.
For colder regions, higher boot height is recommended for protection. Keep in mind that higher boots are priced higher than lower ones.
One-piece boots or removable liners
With a two-piece design, there is a removable liner that is housed by a thick and sturdy layer. This is especially useful when you need more of the waterproof property. Plus, the removable feature helps in drying them out easily.
On the other end of the spectrum, a one-piece design works great in outdoor activities such as hiking because it has a more solid build. This is also more comfortable for this activity.
Frequently asked questions
What makes insulated winter hiking boots different from mountaineering boots?
Mountaineering boots are heavier between the two and are typically made of synthetic materials or leather. They offer less insulation than the other and are far more uncomfortable compared to winter hiking boots.
Meanwhile, insulated hiking boots, as the term implies, are much warmer to wear and are more comfortable to use.
Can I use my regular hiking boots for winter?
There are specialized winter boots for a reason. Normal boots do not offer enough warming features to last you through the hike and this may be harmful to your feet. Plus, normal ones do not have complete waterproof property, thus, making the situation even colder.
Are Gore-tex or breathable or waterproof insulated boots of utmost importance?
The answer to this largely depends on what type of environment you will have when you hike. If it’s a winter trip, you sure need one that is insulated. A breathable feature is one that decreases the sweat and moisture buildup in your boots for longer.
With that said, Gore-tex is known to be waterproof and breathable which makes it a great choice for winter hiking.
How much insulation should there be?
200g insulation is advisable for mild winter conditions, but with extreme ones, 400g is the way to go. The amount of circulation in your body will also affect the insulation you need.
How should winter hiking boots fit on me?
Of course winter boots, like any other boots, should offer a snug fit. However, you have to make sure that despite this, your toes should have enough space to wiggle. Also, another thing to consider is that you may opt to wear thick socks, or even numerous at a time, during winter.
Although the footwears on our list are all great in their own way, Salomon X Ultra 3 Hiking Boots stole our hearts completely. It boasts of great functionality you can enjoy. But for those on the cheaper bracket, Columbia waterproof hiking boots will also be great for you.
We hope we were able to be of help to you in choosing your hiking boots! Have a great shopping experience!
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-11-05