You can’t go hunting without a backpack. Okay, you can technically do it, but you won’t last long. Between hauling your gear around and lugging your deer or elk back up the mountain, that kind of hunt probably won’t be all that fun. A good hunting backpack will make things much easier for you.
But with so many options out there, how do you know which one is right for your needs?
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at some of the best hunting backpacks on the market and what to look for when shopping for one.
Best Hunting Backpacks
Many backpacks have excellent features that are useful and make life easier. However, several backpacks advertise themselves as ideal for hunting adventures. Are they up to our standards? To find out, keep reading!
ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit Hunting Pack
ALPS OutdoorZ is a company that specializes in outdoor and hunting equipment. Still, their most well-known line of products is the hunting day packs, which offer excellent functionality at a low cost.
The ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit Hunting Pack is one of their greatest products, and it appeals to certain hunters because of its big capacity, numerous useful features, and low price.
It was the cheapest day pack with a built-in frame I could locate, so I decided to give it a go.
This backpack is ideal for hunting adventures and comes with a variety of features to make your adventure more enjoyable.
This backpack is made for hunting with a bow or a rifle in the great outdoors. A bow or rifle can be stored in the accompanying drop pouch. It also has an aluminum frame that keeps the bag rigid and protects the contents.
It not only has a tree shelf, but it also has additional storage sleeves in the front pocket. The backpack is hydration friendly, which means it features a compartment for a bladder. It also contains ports for the bladder to connect to a hose.
They provided a raincoat to cover the entire bag in case of rainy weather, which compensates for the fact that the backpack is not waterproof. It has a wonderful design and is well-built to provide many enjoyable outdoor hunting hours.
- The backpack is extremely robust and long-lasting
- It’s suitable for a variety of hunting situations
- Has a lot of auxiliary pockets and a large storage capacity overall
- Quite convenient
- The price-to-value ratio is excellent
- Quiver holders and a rifle boot are included
- A rain cover is included
- There’s a pocket for hydration
- Has a D-ring for hanging on a tree
- There isn’t a separate meat pocket
- It isn’t water-resistant
- Your back will not be ventilated
- Stitch reinforcements are almost non-existent
- Buckles are a stumbling block
- Strap attachment locations are prone to failure
Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger Backpack
- Main compartment: 16.5” high x 8.5” wide x 3” thick with internal organization
- Top front: 7.5” wide x 4” high x 2” thick with internal organization
- Bag can be worn in front and contents comfortably accessed while sitting down
- Compatible with 100oz hydration reservoir
- Top and side handles
- Category name: gear-bags-and-accessories
- Country of origin: Vietnam
- Brand name: Maxpedition
- When oriented towards the front of the body, a single-shoulder backpack maximizes usability.
- For improved weapon shouldering, this shoulder strap is meant to go over the left shoulder.
The Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger is designed for the field operator and may be worn over one shoulder or swung to the front of the body. Its top and side handles allow it to be carried in a variety of ways, maximizing utility.
Concealed carry accessories can be stowed in the main compartment. The left strap is meant to better fit any weapons carried on the right shoulder. The Sitka Gearsliner is made of 1000-denier ballistic nylon fabric that is weather and abrasion-resistant and features double stitching at stress locations.
Because of the high quality of this backpack, it may be used in a variety of environments and for outdoor activities other than hunting.
The backpack’s one-strap design makes it easy to get to your firearm when it’s needed. The backpack’s hydration compatibility allows you a 100-ounce beverage reservoir to keep you hydrated while hunting. Because of its high quality and longevity, it comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The bag comes in a variety of different colors
- A lifetime warranty is included
- It’s made of high-quality materials and is built to last
- It’s well-crafted
- Inside are mesh-divided sections
- Attractive appearance
- Only the left shoulder can be used with it
- It isn’t water-resistant
- The Y-yoke disrupts
- Velcro is small
Tactical Range Backpack From G.P.S
- MOLLE webbing system that is triple stitched
- Internal (Honey Comb) frame for rigidity of the pack
- Padded waist strap for load stability
- Material is 100% Denier with a DuPont Teflon covering
- Black tactical range backpack imported from the United States
- Internal stiffness (honeycomb) frame
- Visual I.D Storage System
- MOLLE webbing system that is triple sewn
- Internal (honeycomb) frame for rigidity of the pack
- For load stability, a padded waist strap is included
This backpack offers plenty of room for all of your belongings, and thanks to its exceptional quality, it will last for a long time.
Even though the backpack is intended for range use, it can also be utilized for hunting. It’s ideal for short trips than long ones because it’ll be uncomfortable, and because it supports the MOLLE system, you can connect pockets and pouches to make hunting more convenient.
G Outdoors created the GPS Tactical Backpack for use at gun ranges, competitions, and weapons training classes. Its goal is to transport up to three pistols, as well as all essential equipment, hands-free and with quick access to and from the range.
The Tactical Bag is a popular range backpack because it is lightweight, robust, and helps you stay organized. A range backpack strikes an appealing blend of capacity, usability, and mobility.
Because this backpack is built entirely of high-quality materials, it is extremely robust and long-lasting.
- They last longer because the quality of their plastic parts is good.
- 16.5” x 11.7” x 12”, or 2317 cubic inches, the Tactical Backpack is about 25% smaller than most competitor models and other range backpack offerings from GPS.
- 3-Handgun Internal Storage System With Room for Magazines
- YKK Locking Zipper for Handgun Compartment
- External Bungee System for Targets
- Triple-Stitched MOLLE Webbing System
- Pull-Out Rain Cover
- The pistol sleeves are not meant for big guns.
- Quality control issues may occur with the seller.
Camo Hunting Backpack from Auscamotek
- Dimensions: 19x12x8 inch 100% brushed polyester farbic with PVC waterproof coating
- Natural tree and leaf printing for maximum camouflage during hunting
- Large front pocket with 2 side water bottle pockets for storage of camo netting ghillie suit and any other hunting accessories
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps for total comfort Chest belt for better fits
- Reminds: the printing is random with different part of trunk and leaves.
- Dimensions: 19x12x8 inch 100% brushed polyester fabric with PVC water-repellent coating long-lasting and light
- For maximum concealment during dear and turkey hunting, natural tree and leaf woodland camouflage pattern printing is used.
- For storage of camo netting, a ghillie suit, and other hunting supplies, there is a large front porch with two side water bottle pockets.
- Padded shoulder straps that may be adjusted for maximum comfort. For a better fit, wear a chest belt.
- It reminds you that the printing is random with different parts of the trunk and leaves; it’s perfect for any outdoor activities.
This backpack is not only affordable but also suitable for a variety of outdoor activities other than hunting.
- The backpack comes in a camouflage pattern, making it easy to blend in
- The strap can be adjusted to meet anyone’s preference
- There’s a lot of extra storage here
- When you walk with it, it is not noisy
This backpack is made for hunting light and fast. When hunting, you need to be as silent as possible to avoid scaring your game away, and this backpack makes no noise.
The backpack’s camouflage can help you blend in better with the environment, which can increase your skills because your prey won’t see you coming.
The adjustable straps on the backpack make it suitable for people of all heights. The backpack is light, which means you won’t get weary as quickly. It’s also waterproof to keep everything inside safe.
- It’s cost-effective
- It’s also water-resistant
- It’s not too heavy
- It’s tough and long-lasting
- A waist pouch is included. However, it is offered separately
- It isn’t equipped with a water bladder
Badlands Superday Hunting Backpack
This bag has a lot of added features and is built to last. This is the bag for you if you’re seeking exceptional quality and durability.
This backpack is ideal for serious hunting in the great outdoors. It’s also incredibly adaptable to any hunting situation.
- It’s lightweight and pleasant.
- It can hold a significant amount of water.
- It’s perfect for stalking your prey because it makes no noise
- It’s made of Thermoplastic
- It is backed by a lifetime warranty
- The backpack can be upgraded and comes with a lifetime warranty
- It does not come with a meat pocket
- Some attachments are missing
When looking to purchase a hunting backpack, keep the following factors in mind:
What do you plan to do with it? Do you want to carry your rifle, bow, knife, or pistol in a holster? Do you believe a meat shelf will be required? Is it completely watertight? When looking for a backpack, you should consider all of these factors.
Small games, such as goats and deer, can easily be dressed and carried out of the woods without the use of a bulky backpack with an external frame.
Adjustability and fit
The fit and versatility of the backpack are crucial for a happy and successful hunting trip. Unfortunately, there’s no way to accurately gauge a pack’s fit without actually trying it on, but it’s the one factor that can make it painful or impossible to use effectively.
Fortunately, many current packs are scaled (with helpful sizing charts available online), so you can get a rough idea of which size will fit you best.
You’ll have aches and pains and an unpleasant day if you haven’t properly prepared the pack for your body. Practice carrying a full backpack and examining how it sits on your shoulders before traveling into the wilderness.
If any problems arise, make the appropriate changes until you are satisfied. Many inexperienced hunters overlook how long they will be out in the field before quitting.
What do you need in the kit? Will it be large enough to accommodate all of your gear? Is there enough space for food, drink, and first-aid supplies? Are you planning to go hunting in the woods or on the plains?
These details may not seem crucial, but knowing that your pack can do everything you need it to do and more will put you on the path to a successful hunt.
There are two types of weight to consider. When the pack is empty, and when it is loaded, the weight of the pack is calculated. When it’s empty, the lighter it is, the more comfortable it will be when it’s full, so seek a backpack that’s light enough that it won’t bother your shoulders or back.
Durability and material
It’s vital to find a backpack that will last for several years. To do so, do some research on the best backpack materials and compare them to come up with an informed decision. Depending on where your hunts take place, you’ll also need to consider the type of environment you’ll be in.
Will this material be able to withstand rain and branch scrapers? Is it double-stitched for extra durability? It’s a good idea to acquire a backpack with some water resistance if you don’t want your gear to get wet.
How big of a backpack do I need for hunting?
A decent rule of thumb when choosing a bag is to assume 1,000 cubic inches each day. Choose a car with a capacity of 3,000 to 5,000 cubic inches if you plan to travel for three to five days.
Do you need a hunting backpack?
Small games, wild turkeys, and big games can all be hunted using day packs. Most daypacks contain around 2000 cubic inches of storage space, which is plenty for food, water, extra clothing, phones, a first aid kit, and whatever else you might need for a day in the woods.
The majority of hunters do not need such a huge load.
Do you need a camo backpack for hunting?
For all types of ungulate and predator hunting, camo is advantageous but not required. When bowhunting, camouflage becomes much more important. Similarly, sufficient concealment may be more important for predator calling than for spot-and-stalk or tree stand deer hunting.
What should I bring for hunting?
You’ll need all of the traditional hunting gear, including hunting apparel and boots, a rifle or bow, ammo, and a bag, to go hunting. Some objects, on the other hand, are not as obvious to a novice hunter. Scent attractant and scent reduction are two tools that can aid in a successful hunt.
Which frame should you choose?
There are two types of frames to consider when it comes to your backpack: internal frames and external frames. As the names suggest, the distinction is in the location of the frames on the pack.
The exterior frames are good for traveling along well-worn routes with little interference from Mother Nature, as opposed to hunts that take you through dense forest, but depending on the size, they may be a cheaper option when contemplating extended hunting trips due to the load capabilities.
What should I look for in a hunting backpack?
First and foremost, your pack must be capable of carrying all of your essential equipment. For a daypack, you’ll need 1800 to 2000 cubic inches, 3000-5000 for a weekend or three-day hunt, and up to 7500 for a longer expedition. Check that the pockets are sorted according to how you plan to use the backpack.
Compare weights because serious backcountry hunters obsess over every ounce of weight in their gear. Examine the materials as well. Although external frames are more convenient for packing out meat, internal frame packs won’t snag on the bush. Finally, a pack must be comfortable.
If the pack doesn’t adapt or come in the proper size for your torso, you’ll be unhappy carrying any burden at all.
Why do some backpacks have a waist belt?
The waist belt on your hunting backpack isn’t there to let the jocks know who their next target is (spoiler: you), but it does provide additional support and can carry up to 90% of your pack’s weight, which is a lifesaver when carrying heavy loads of gear, game, and supplies and ensures that you don’t ruin your trip with uncomfortable body aches.
Back discomfort is unpleasant, so swallow your pride and buckle up; your spine will thank you for the next fifty years.
Don’t be too impressed with a pack’s appearance. A backpack that doesn’t fit you, or is either too tiny or too enormous, might completely derail your hunt. A tool is also a pack. It must convey your hunting gear in such a way that it remains clean and accessible when you need it.
The size of the room is the second most important factor to consider. Make sure you purchase a pack that can hold all of your belongings.
The Badlands Superday Hunting Backpack is the clear winner since it exceeds our expectations in almost every way. Even though it is more expensive, the investment made in purchasing it will be well worth it.
If the Badlands is out of your price range, the ALPS Outdoorz Pursuit Hunting Backpack is an excellent option. It offers a cheaper price range for people on a budget.
If you buy something after clicking on the Amazon link or adding it to your cart, we get paid a commission at no further cost to you.
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2022-01-17