Camping is one of the most popular recreations for friends and families. Being preoccupied in thinking of basic camping needs such as sleeping bags and tents, a lot of people would be less likely to put in a set of camping speakers together with the rest of their gear.
This year, let us try to make our camping event merrier with the highly-recommended camping speakers available on the market.
You can have fun by singing your favorite camping tunes or by using a speaker for sing-alongs, campsite games, and camp events.
Days are long past when camping and outdoor speakers are bulky, heavy, and too complex to use. Bigger is not always better.
These days, outdoor speakers are now rugged, lightweight, easy to carry, and more powerful than ever. If you are still a newbie when it comes to camping speakers, here is a quick buyer’s guide and some reviews to help you in your purchase.
Top ten best camping speakers: descriptions and reviews
Based on the features and capabilities mentioned above, here are our top recommendations for camping speakers:
Bose sound link revolves around a portable speaker
- Deep, loud and immersive sound, with true 360 degree coverage
- Built-in mic for speakerphone to take clear conference or personal calls out...
- Seamless aluminum body is durable and water resistant (IPX4)
The Bose SoundLink Revolve is well built and has an Aluminum Exterior in silver or black. It is popular for its cylindrical design that brings omnidirectional sound and allows you to experience the same quality of sound in every direction.
This Bose Bluetooth speaker performs excellently by pumping loud music in all directions. Delivers expansive and loud sounds. It has the following features: 30-foot operational range, seamless voice prompts to access digital assistance; can be paired with other speakers; and 360 degrees of sound.
- With great design
- 360 surround sound
- With durable quality, made of aluminum shell
- Can work 12 hours when fully charged
- No dock for charging
- Limited range of only 10 meters
- Dust Proofing and waterproofing needs improvement
Bose soundlink micro
- Bose Waterproof Speaker — Small but powerful, the Bose SoundLInk Micro...
- Tear-resistant Strap — This small portable speaker comes equipped with an...
- Rugged Outdoor Speaker — Constructed from durable materials, including a...
Bose is one of the leading brands in the speaker industry. Another one of its portable speakers, this can perfectly be paired with another speaker of the same brand and can seamlessly work with Google Assistant and Siri.
It has a decent battery life of 6 hours. You can also choose from its 3 colors: Midnight Blue, Bright Orange or Black.
- Connect with other Bose speakers for stereo sound
- Can be integrated to voice prompts
- Has a companion app, “Bose Connect,” for customization and personalization
- Has a powerful sound with its dual passive radiators and custom-designed transducer
- Highly waterproof, with an IPX7 rating capable of 3 feet deep immersion for half an hour
- Battery life could be better
Anker soundcore 2
- Incredible Sound Loved by 20 Million+ People
- Bluetooth Speaker with Intense Bass: Exclusive BassUp technology and a patented...
- Outdoor-Proof: IPX7 protection safeguards the Bluetooth speaker against rain,...
If you are looking for a speaker with the best battery life, the Anker soundcore 2 has a 5200mAh battery which can last you 24 hours or 500 songs of continuous playback. It also has a speakerphone if you like to take hands-free and fuss-free voice calls.
This is great for outdoor use because of its “BassUp” features which essentially boost low-end frequencies with the help of its patented spiral bass.
- Really good battery life
- Dustproof and waterproof with an IPX7 rating
- Buttons mounted at the top for ease of access
- Has a distortion-free sound with its digital signal processor (DSP) and customized neodymium drivers
- Speakerphone for hands-free voice calls
- Connectivity needs improvement
Logitech Ultimate ears Wonderboom 2
- Surprisingly bigger 360 sound: Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM 2 is a wireless...
- New outdoor boost: push the outdoor boost button on this ultra portable speaker...
- Waterproof, dustproof & floats: IP67 rating means it’s waterproof, dustproof...
This is a small speaker that can last up to 13 hours of continuous playing. Despite its small size of 10.4cm high x 9.5cm wide x 9.5 cm deep, it delivers great sound quality with deep, weighty bass and great volume. Its volume makes it a great choice for outdoor use
and a sensational-sounding speaker. It has a 13-hour battery life and a dimension of. It has Bluetooth, IP67 waterproof, the answer of.
- Decent bass
- Great battery life
- Waterproof, with an IP67 rating
- Does not come with a built-in smart assistant
JBL Xtreme 2
If you are looking for a speaker with a solid design, the JBL Xtreme 2 is a stylish variant of a waterproof boombox. It can produce a clean and clear sound at 15 hours of playing time. It has a dimension of 13.6cm high x 28.8cm wide x 13.2cm deep and a 2x20W power.
- Balanced bass
- Waterproof with a rating of IPX7
- Does not have multiroom
- Proportions can be chunky
JBL go 3
- JBL Pro Sound delivers surprisingly big audio and punchy bass from Go 3’s...
- JBL Go 3’s ultra-portable design goes great with the latest styles, and its...
- JBL Go 3 is IP67 waterproof and dustproof, so you can bring your speaker...
When fully charged, this speaker can play for up to 5 hours despite its soap-like size. With a dimension of 8.8cm high x 7.5cm wide x 4.1cm deep and 4W power, it takes 2 and a half hours to fully charge.
It excels in the sound department because of its extra power and sonic enhancements resulting in a nicer treble, fuller bass, and greater volume.
- Full bass
- Waterproof and dustproof at IP67
- Connectivity (Bluetooth 5.1 and a USB-C connector)
- Short battery life at only 5 hours
Oontz angle 3
- 🎶 HIGHER QUALITY CRYSTAL CLEAR STEREO SOUND - The OontZ Angle 3 is Designed...
- 🔊 LOUDER VOLUME WITH ZERO DISTORTION – Surprisingly loud with no...
- 💙 Suitable for INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE - Incredible BLUETOOTH (5.0) RANGE OF...
If you are on the go, this 2.76” x 5.24” x 2.52” lightweight speaker is the best choice because of its portability. It weighs only less than 10 ounces and is highly portable without compromising its sound quality. This 10-watt speaker has a 100 ft wireless range and 14 hours of battery life when fully charged.
Comes with a rechargeable battery for 12 hrs non-stop music at ⅔ volume. This is also a great buy if you do not like neutral-colored speakers because, with this, you get to choose between 5 different color combinations.
- Water resistance, Dustproof and sandproof
- Distortion-free even when set at full volume
- With rounded edges and simple buttons for extra convenience
- up to 33 feet distance Bluetooth connection
- With two ultra-precise acoustic drivers for better mid and high sounds
- With a built-in AUX-IN jack and 3.5mm audio cable for added connectivity
- With a built-in speakerphone-enable microphone for making hands-free calls
- Has a great bass and well-rounded stereo sound because of its proprietary passive bass radiator design
- No drawbacks
JBL charge 5
- JBL Pro Sound with an optimized long excursion driver, separate tweeter and dual...
- Long lasting battery delivers up to 20 hours of playtime
- Take the Charge with you anywhere due to its IP67 waterproof and dustproof...
Compared to its Charge 4 predecessor, this model has updated specs, improved durability, greater design, better sounding, and subtle tweaks. With a dimension of 22cm high x 9.6cm wide x 9.4cm deep, it has a driver shaped like a racetrack, giving you a great sound with Bluetooth v5.1. It has 30W + 10W tweeter power with a voice assistance feature.
- Clearer detailed sound
- Has USB-A and USB-C connections
- With IP67 waterproof and dustproof rating (able to survive submersion at 1.5 m. deep)
- No drawbacks
JBL Flip 5
- Sounds better than ever
- Up to 12 Hours of Playtime
- Make a splash with IPX7 waterproof design
This portable speaker, which is best for outdoors, is worth the money. Despite its lack of features, it compensates through its great sound quality. With a dimension of 7.4cm high x 18.1cm wide x 6,9cm deep and a power of 20W, it delivers solid bass and timing with great acoustics. Despite its basic apps and lack of trendy features, it can last up to 12 hours playing.
- Good bass
- Good sense of acoustics
- Comes with a wrist strap for extra security when attached to the hand
- Does not have an aux-in port or built-in microphone
- It cannot be paired with older versions of JBL speakers
Bang & olufsen beosound A1 (2nd Gen)
- POWERFUL SOUND: Enjoy Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound when you’re on the move...
- WATERPROOF SPEAKER: Share your soundtrack on the go, with a durable and wireless...
- LISTEN LONGER: Improved battery power so you can enjoy music and speakerphone...
With a dimension of 4.6 cm high x 13.3 cm wide x 13.3 cm deep, this is the heaviest and most refined little speaker from Bang & Olufsen. Bang & Olufsen is known for its innovative premium products, and this speaker is not an exception.
If you are looking for a speaker with clear, weighty bass, this is the best choice. Aside from its edge in the bass, it also has a great, classy build and finishes.
- Easy to use and operate
- Comes with a built-in Alexa
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Has several options for connectivity (Bluetooth 5.1, stereo-pairing mode, and USB-C)
- No drawbacks
A guide to buying camping speakers
Before we dive into the product reviews, it is important to know what the basic standards here are and some of the features and capabilities you must look for in a camping speaker to avoid having a regretful purchase.
Portable speakers are not restricted only to tiny speakers that can be stored in every bag you carry. The portability here is that it can be carried to the trunk of your car and from the car to the campfire.
Waterproof or water-resistant rating
Since you will be working with nature’s forces outdoors and a little rain or snow, it is a must for you to have a camping speaker that will resist moisture, rain, and snow so that it will not interrupt your listening pleasure.
Although waterproof and water-resistant do not have the same meaning, they, however, closely translate to ‘water will not ruin it.’
When you are trying to look for a waterproof speaker for the great outdoors with the best quality, search for its IP rating. This is how water resistance gadgets are categorized. When you find it, you will see that the IP mark is followed by two numbers.
The most common is the IP67, which means that the speaker can be underwater for up to 30 minutes. This also means that it could survive a splash or two, but it is not the type of thing you would just want to nonchalantly throw in the pool.
Durability is somehow connected to the waterproofing or water-resisting ability of your speaker. It is also vital for us to have a speaker that can endure unexpected waves or rain showers whether we are going camping or any other outdoor activities.
Durability is also based on the IP rating, which means that speakers with IP67, which is pretty much the standard, are more durable.
Size and audio performance
One important role that size plays in choosing the right speaker is how much bass response and overall volume a speaker can project. The bigger the speaker, the deeper the bass.
Needless to say, the bass does not matter nearly as much as powerful high-mids and high-frequency responses outdoors. Sound can only be carried directly through the air (which is more likely treble’s forte) since there are no walls to have vibrations and reverberate powerful bass.
Passive bass radiators have been a great help to speakers. They are made of rubber-like surfaces that vibrate considerably with the output of a powered driver. You can notice this when you put a speaker on a long wooden table, and you observe the table vibrating, seemingly increasing the bass response. The vibrations often create the sense of stronger bass depth.
The average battery life for portable speakers ranges from 10 to 20 hours, depending on their size and features. Anything lower than 10 hours is not worth buying as it cannot sustain average musical needs.
Always bear in mind these are estimates. Most likely, manufacturers will often list a higher battery life grounded on the supposition that you’ll be listening at moderate volume levels.
We can all agree that aside from a strong IP and a solid audio performance, it would be fun if your speaker still has a lot of stuff to offer. A speaker that can function as a power bank wherein you can charge other gadgets with its battery is a great steal.
There are also models that offer light shows and can double function as a flashlight. If you like voice assistance features, you may choose one with Alexa voice control, like the Ultimate Ears UE Blast. Nevertheless, keep in mind that the more features, the higher the price.
In terms of price, some speakers costing 150 dollars or below can give you a solid sound fit for outdoor use. If you go for a higher price, you will get a good bass response with the capability to transmit stereo audio. You can even buy items with the same specs from luxury brands in this price range.
Cheaper versions of this one will have mono or smaller speakers with a lower-end response. For instance, if you go for a device that costs less than 50 dollars, you might get a speaker that would sound like your mobile phone.
Is “waterproof” and “water-resistant” the same? Is it okay to put an indoor speaker outside?
It is possible to put an indoor speaker outside depending on the type of power output. You can place a wireless speaker anywhere, providing it’s near enough to its source device. Just remember that indoor speakers are not usually waterproof.
What’s the best wattage for outdoor speakers?
The most suitable wattage for a quiet picnic is 5W, but it would be best to have a higher wattage if you want more for a bustling BBQ.
What do you mean by 360-degree sound?
A 360-degree sound means it has a dispersion of sound in all directions from a central point which also means you can place your speaker anywhere.
How will I know the right number of outdoor speakers to buy?
The number of speakers you need depends on how loud the device is and where you are putting it.
Is “waterproof” and “water-resistant” the same?
While waterproof and water-resistant are used interchangeably, it is best to choose the waterproof device with a great IP rating. For those with a rating of IP67, they can be technically called waterproof as they can survive being submerged in water for 30 minutes.
On the other hand, water-resistant just means it can withstand minor splashes. Being water-resistant does not guarantee that it is waterproof. But if it is waterproof, it is surely water-resistant.
Is multi-source streaming important?
A basic wireless speaker that streams from a single device would suffice if you just want to appreciate your music when you are alone. Alternatively, a portable speaker that can take turns streaming music from multiple devices would certainly be a better option if you plan a beach party or a night in the woods with a group of friends.
What features for portability are a must?
It would be good to have a 3.5mm audio port because it can undeniably come in handy for listening to music from older mobile devices and saves battery as well. Portable outdoor stereo speakers commonly use Bluetooth for wireless connectivity, but you could have problems relying on Bluetooth for older models.
How to interpret an IP rating?
In reading an IP rating, you will see either a two-digit score or the letter X as a placeholder, followed by a single digit. Here’s how to interpret them
- The first digit- this stands for the item’s protection against solids such as dust. This could range from zero being the lowest at no protection to six as the highest, meaning dustproof.
- The second digit- is the item’s protection against liquids such as water. The second digit could range from zero being the lowest with no protection at all to eight as the highest, meaning submersible beyond 1 meter for a long period of time.)
- The placeholder X- The x is just used as a placeholder when no actual test is made by the company. It just means that it is higher than zero, but the value is not verified at all. It is better to go for an IP rating with a numerical value rather than an X.If you do not see an IP rating, yet the manufacturer claims that it is waterproof, it is safe to assume that it can handle minor splashes such as sweat and rain. It is not a good idea to submerge it in water.
Hence, when you see the rating IP68, six is the highest for solid and eight for liquid, so this one is dustproof, waterproof, and can be submerged in water.
If you see an IPX8 rating, the solid protection is not tested, but it has the greatest water resistance.
What is the ideal IP rating for an outdoor speaker?
It depends on what kind of outdoor activities you do. If you are going to use it for your RV, the IP rating does not matter. As a general guide, refer to these rating interpretations.
- IPX5- protected against low-pressure water streaming from different directions
- IPX7- can be submerged up to 1 meter without any problems
- IP 67- can be submerged for up to 30 minutes
What IP rating should I look for in an outdoor speaker?
If your outdoor activities involve water that could splash on your device, better look for one with an IPX rating of 6 or 7. Never be deceived by the manufacturer’s claims about the waterproofing of its devices. Better to stick to the numbers.
It is important to keep in mind that the best Bluetooth speakers for outdoor fun come in all shapes and sizes and range in price from very reasonably priced to very luxurious.
Just consider what kind of activities you do so that you will know whether to prioritize signal and connectivity, size and portability, waterproofing and dust proofing, or its price and durability. It is still up to you to choose what works best for you and which fits your needs and budget.
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2022-11-23